Last Revised: August 2023
SM Energy – Privacy Notice
SM Energy (“SM Energy”, “we”, or “us”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”).
This Privacy Notice describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://sm-energy.com/ (our “Site”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Please read this Privacy Notice carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to use our Site. By accessing or using this Site, you agree to this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice may change from time to time. Please see Changes to Our Privacy Notice (below) to learn more.
When This Privacy Notice Applies
This Privacy Notice applies to information we collect:
- on this Site; or
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Site.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by SM Energy or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Site.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Site, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, e-mail address, telephone number or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information”);
- that is about you but individually does not identify you; or
- about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Site and usage details.
We collect this information:
- directly from you when you provide it to us; or
- automatically as you navigate through the site, including usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Site may include:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site, including information provided at the time of subscribing to our email communication service or requesting further services; or
- records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- details of your visits to our Site, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Site; or
- information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information. It helps us to improve our Site and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns; or
- recognize you when you return to our Site.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- to present our Site and its contents to you;
- to provide you with information that you request from us;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- to notify you about changes to our Site;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; or
- for any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose information that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Notice:
- to our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- to a buyer or other successor in anticipation of or in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of SM Energy's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or a similar proceeding, in which information held by SM Energy about our Site users is among the assets transferred;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to receive earning reports, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; or
- with your consent.
We may also disclose your information:
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request;
- to enforce other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of SM Energy, our customers, or others.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
Children Under the Age of 13
Our Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Site. We do not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Site or on or through any of its features, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us by clicking here.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
It is our policy to post any changes we make to our Privacy Notice on this page. If we make material changes to how we treat our users' information, we will notify you through a notice on the Site home page. The date the Privacy Notice was last revised is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you and for periodically visiting our Site and this Privacy Notice to check for any changes.
To ask questions or comment about this Privacy Notice and our privacy practices, contact us by clicking here.